Being in the working world is great. I have a weekly paycheck, I can afford rent, I don’t have to live in a cardboard box, I can put my intellectual learnins from schoolin’ to good use, and I get a chance to build my resume.
But realistically, most of the time I find myself just sitting. Nothing to do. Bored. So is the life of an entry level recent grad. Luckily, I have great coworkers who entertain me daily. But for the time between our “business” lunches and walks to get “coffee,” I have to find something to occupy myself with.
Waaaa. My life is so hard. I know, I know. Get over it, right? There’s like, starving people in this world and AIDS is rampant. I get that. And I sympathize. So before you start shoving a finger of blame up my ass, know that I worked tirelessly with domestic violence awareness in college and I’m a proud supporter of cancer research and diabetes runs. I’m a fucking philanthropic goddess. Who is sex on legs. And has celebrities everywhere clamoring for a round in the sack.
That last bit may have been an exaggeration. The world will never know.
Everyone has a weakness. Boredom just happens to be mine. I bring you a list of ways to entertain yourself at work. But proceed with caution, for they are both addicting and require a good amount of spy skills. AKA, if you have a manager looking over your shoulder every few minutes, I would not suggest partaking in most of the activities listed below. If not, partake away! I’ll see you in hell.
- Watch random youtube videos like this Ode to Tight Pants.
- Take pointless selfies at sort of inconspicuous angles so nobody at work can tell what you’re doing but everyone who sees the picture knows you’re sitting in your cube.
- Master the art of toggling back and forth between screens so you can watch hulu and “work on” a spreadsheet at the same time.
- Do sudoku.
- Become best friends with Sporcle.
- Buy a calendar of mind games for your desk so you can occupy at least five minutes a day with useless word-matching exercises.
- Stare out the window and dream about your wedding with Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Eat Nutella by the spoonful.
- Scoop Nutella onto pretzel crisps.
- Eat Nutella by the spoonful.
- Close Nutella jar.
- Stare at Nutella jar.
- Decide to eat just one more spoonful.
- Make a list of all the places you’d like to live one day (AKA everywhere you’d rather be than sitting at your desk).
- Write a poem.
- Organize your file folders for the ninth time this week.
- Organize your highlighters.
- Organize your pens.
- File your nails.
- Log onto facebook and go into a state of depression when you realize that nobody has updated their status in the last five minutes.
- Watch more random youtube videos like Friends bloopers.
- Go to SNL‘s homepage and watch sketches on an endless loop.
- Eat another spoonful of Nutella.
Realize it’s only 9:05am and you still have 7 hours to go.
Go back to beginning of list and repeat.
Fuck. This day is the worst.
- Treat Binge (ipreferheels.com)
- Existential Boredom (ministryofhappiness.wordpress.com)
- Boredom leads to productivity (spectatornews.com)
- Mindless Automaton: On Boredom at Work (woahmolly.com)
- Conversation with myself (blabberpal.wordpress.com)
- What to do when bored? (distractedstudents.com)
- Boredom Fighter (inkshrink17.wordpress.com)
- Why boredom at work is a good thing (smartplanet.com)